Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ironic

While procrastinating from doing homework, I found this article on how to be more productive. It's not mind-blowing, but it's not some shitty newspaper article either. This guy has a few insights. He introduces the idea of a "mental force-field" that your brain builds up around certain tasks that keeps you from being able to do them, and comes up with different reasons why these happen and how to fix them.
I also found this funny website called Smacklet that purports to help one focus by making you write down what you were just doing and what you intend to do next, so you have to spell it out for yourself and can look back and see what you were supposed to have done earlier.
So now that I know how to be productive, I guess I have to get back to work, huh?

Update:
Two more things of note I found tonight.
Article by the same guy called Who Writes Wikipedia. Jimmy Wales says it's an elite group of 500 collaborators. But our friend here does his own analysis and determines that these 500 elites only end up formatting the original content that many other small-time collaborators actually write.

Color photos from the late 1930s and early 1940s.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should take another pictures of that website of color photos from the 30s & 40s - when I went there all the images were the stock "photobucket bandwidth exceeded" image humorously pixelated due to the various sizes intended for the original image. seems like a joke Matt Goins would like. must have been really popular to put up angularly painted posters of that image back then...

also, reminded me of the NGT photo prep quote (I think at McNugget fest?) "be serious! serious like its the 1940s!!" inspired by Evan's poster of well dressed thugs hanging around a fancy car back in first half of the 20th century.

Anonymous said...

* the word "pictures" should be the word "look" in the first sentence of my previous comment. If only this were a wiki I could edit it myself....

Anonymous said...

** additionally the first instance of the word "of" should be the word "at" but you know what? fuck it, you know what I meant...

Nick Turco said...

try again, "guy", the images work now. They probably didn't work because it was on reddit, getting tons of hits.
that's a good NGT quote and it's true. NGT also likes photos like his current facebook photo/with shane where it's late 19th century and REALLY serious.